Wednesday, September 25, 2013


Ok y'all- I'm pretty sure Satan is reading my blog. 

And I'm pretty sure I've pissed him off. 

(If my use of the phrase "pissed off" offends you - it's another warning bell that you're on the wrong blog. Just saying.)

My pal loves to remind me that I'm a slow learner. And in sooooooooo many ways - this is the truth. For years...and years...and years- friends have been telling me to write. Many, many people. And now that I've had a small glimpse that my words may actually be encouraging others who read them - I'm dumbfounded. 

Writing is like playing the piano for me - it comes from my heart. From a place that I KNOW is the Lord. I go back and read stuff I've written, and it speaks to ME. That's just hilariously ironic to me. 

I can remember many times that I've heard someone talk about how they could tell the Lord was using them and working in their life because Satan was obviously working against them. I would wistfully think, "wow - I wish that would happen to me. It would be so neat to feel that something I was doing for Him was important enough to rile up Satan". 

That was an incredibly stupid thing to wistfully think.

And apparently, to use the phrase "life is good" in a blog is incredibly stupid, too. 

Because that was day before yesterday, and by today life is SO "not good" that I've lost two pounds in two days and I have pretty good proof that it was two pounds of snot and tears.

Plus - remember my tendency to holler out things at my kids that I would NOT want everyone in the world to read? Yeah, that. 

"Above all, put on love". What a joke, Sandy.

It's been a rough couple of days. 

Last night as I leaked out another gallon of tears onto my pillowcase- the thought crossed my mind to post a prayer request on Facebook. I was going to say: "if you know me, please pray for me". I immediately decided not to. After all - my Facebook friends have seen that I've posted a blog about my life. Some have said it encouraged them. How in the world would it look for me to post a whiny-butt prayer request?

Just then the Lord near about popped my jaws. 

(That sentence right there is a product of my rich Southern heritage. A heritage in which the phrase "near about" means "almost" but just says it better. And how many times did I hear Mama threaten to "pop my jaws"? I don't think she ever actually did it - but the sound of it was ominous enough to right the wayward soul.)

Anyway, I use that slightly irreverent analogy to describe a stab of conviction so sharp and painful, it was almost like a slap to my spirit. I am never more than one small step from certain ruin. The instant I think that even for a brief moment I am capable of anything - ANYTHING in my own strength, I have crashed and burned. 

Life IS good - even when it's not good, if it is the life He gives. A life where struggles can be shared and miraculously find new life as encouragement. Where lifting someone else up in prayer also lifts us up, because time spent talking with Him about anything is NOT "time well spent"- it's the preview of eternity.

Only through His strength is there any hope. Satan is alive and well, and would love nothing more than to silence even a small, pitiful voice like mine that speaks of the hope that IS found in His strength. So pray away, my sweet friends. Anytime. 

And you might want to reeeeeeally step it up tonight, y'all. I'm pretty sure Satan won't be pinning this blog entry on his "My Favorite Things" board on Pinterest.

And the lights go out on another day here in Pizza Hut Heights.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sandy Bunn, I DO love you! I am sorry that things are tough and you have a cried a bucket of tears and poured a bucket of snot. Do you know how to call me? I doubt it...no old numbers here. Call me anyway(I'll message your FB account ) if you need to vent and have an older(almost 60) woman listen!

    ReplyDelete