Tuesday, October 8, 2013

We walked out of the house Sunday morning and I was hit with a blast of cold air. 

Except that we have not moved - we still live in Louisiana, so what I am referring to is an outdoor temperature of 53 degrees. Heavenly. And compared to the recent norm of 99 degrees and 450 percent humidity - it WAS cold air.

My favorite moment of the year. The annual "magic cold front" that inspires me beyond words. By the time Matthew and I arrived at church in Alexandria, I had committed to memorize the book of Psalms, lose 100 pounds, exercise aerobically for 45 minutes a day, save 30 percent of my income, and use only kind words and gentle redirection while speaking to my children.

It's the kind of weather that really makes me feel like I can do it. All.

At least, I felt that way until we got halfway across the church parking lot and Matthew kicked a rock. On purpose. Just to see how far it would go. By the time I finished my tirade about God's house, other people's property, and potential harm to others- I realized that I had set the bar a little high. 

Matthew is currently discouraged with the immense stress of third grade. Because "once you learn something new- they don't even give you time to be happy about it. There's something else you already have to work on." This is based on his experience of "I FINALLY passed my twos test (timed multiplication) and do you KNOW what they gave us the next day, Mama?? Threes. The very next day!"

I haven't had the heart to tell him that is pretty much how life works. And I'm waiting for him to realize what comes after the threes....

I myself had bought into this panic, picturing months of after school math fact practice (about as appealing as oral surgery). Then my years of higher education kicked in- and I realized that the more we learn- the more he already knows. For example: when we get to the sixes, he already knows all the facts through 6 times 5. So we just have four to learn. 

If this confuses you, please don't give yourself as hard time. I realize that I am a mathematical genius, and cannot expect the majority of the population to keep up. (Yes- that is sarcasm.)

The only thing I have to make sure he understands is that 6 times 2 is the SAME fact as 2 times 6. Same knowledge- he just has to look at it a different way.

Then it dawned on me that this is pretty much how life works. The same snares trip me up- over and over and over and over. But until I learn to look at things in a different way, I will continue to be tripped up. 

(Much like the time I was tripped up by orange plastic construction fence webbing and fell for two blocks through downtown Ruston. Yes, "through". Bringing several hundred feet of the webbing down with me- along with the plastic cones it was attached to, and the dog, and Matthew. Who commented "Wow, Mama. It sure did take you a long time to actually get through falling and land."

Just your mental image chuckle for the day.

You're welcome.)

I pray that the Lord will open my eyes to realize that there is a LOT He has taught me. And that He expects me to use every bit of it. EVERY bit. His education is continuing. I need to hide the lessons He teaches me in my heart, and be ready to use it in new ways. Or, for goodness sakes, just use it to keep myself from making the SAME mistakes over and over again.

That's as deep as it's getting today, y'all. Because I have a yucky cold,  all three of us are wearing our clean clothes (as in...our ONLY clean clothes), and....

Gotta learn these threes. The fours are coming....

Happy October from Pizza Hut Heights!


3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I kick things just to see how far they go, lol! I understand his logic perfectly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While learning to snow ski---I found the orange webbing an excellent brake for those "Out of control" moments! My laugh for today was "They don't even give you time to be happy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fours are coming. I know what you mean. I got a couple chuckles from this. Thank you! And Mathew!

    ReplyDelete